We’ve had to increase Chester’s meds after 2 quick seizures again. He had a seizure on February 18th (3 weeks after the one before) and then again on February 22nd (just 4 days later). So, on the 23rd he was back at the vet’s office for more blood tests.
Without waiting for the doctor to tell me to increase, I added another 1/2 pill into his food starting Thursday morning and on Friday afternoon, I got the phone call to increase so this way he got started a day and a half earlier than if I had waited. There was a possibility that I wouldn’t get the results until Monday – so that would have been 4 1/2 days head start. His regular veterinarian was off work on Thursday, and last time, she ok’d the increase without another blood test.
This still has to balance, so I’ll have to be watching him for the next couple of weeks (actually, I’m always watching him). At $100.00 per test, plus the meds this illness is getting very expensive – but he is so normal and happy when he is not having seizures.
I’ve had a couple of problems with the car in the last month or 2 also – so between the car and the dog, they are sure making it hard to save for my trip. I’m getting full use out of my line of credit at the bank. 🙂
Actually, most of the cost of the trip has been looked after (through the line of credit) already. I still have to pay for the other 2/3 of the cost at Kruger, but I have 4 1/2 months before I have to worry about that. I also have to pay for the balance at Nkorho, and I can pay that when I check out. The only other item is the car rental and I pay for that when I book it. I don’t have to book it for awhile yet either. I should have more than enough spending money as that is being saved in a tax free savings account, plus my pay cheque and pension will continue going into my account while I’m away. When I first started planning this trip, I hadn’t even stopped to think about how it would be paid for – I was just going to let the money add up on my credit card – but the interest on the credit cards would have really increased the amount I would end up paying. The interest on the line of credit is very low, since it is using the equity on my house.
To complicate financial matters a little more, the Royal Bank just took a payment out of my account for a loan that was paid off almost 2 weeks ago. Luckily I checked the account yesterday or a scheduled payment today would have bounced. I phoned the bank when I noticed it, and their answer was that the payout was not received until the 22nd and that was after the scheduled payment. I thought payments went electronically, so I’m not sure why it would take that long for them to receive it, but they have already scheduled the refund to be sent and apparently it will be about a week before it is back in my account.
They have just changed our health benefits at work and I will have to check to see if I still have travel health insurance once we get the documents on that. I sure don’t plan on having to use it, but can’t take a trip like this without it – just in case. There are lions and elephants and snakes there – along with the fact that I’ll be driving on the wrong side of the road. 🙂 Of course those critters are many of the reasons I am going. 🙂
Of course, I have a couple of pictures of Chester that I took out in the yard this morning.
Things are almost back to normal at Africam now after the storms that knocked out 2 out of the 3 cameras and damaged the 3rd as well. There is still work to be done, but the admin have been working tirelessly at getting everything back up and running. Its so good to be able to watch all 3 of them again. 🙂
Because of all the water still in the bush from the storms, the sightings are not back to normal yet, but we are seeing many of the critters grazing nearby anyway. Grazing critters will attract the predators too. So far today, we have seen Waterbuck, Kudu, Elephant, Nyala, Wildebeest, Warthog, Impala, Baboon, Cape Buffalo, Black-backed Jackal, Side-striped Jackal and Egyptian Geese. Click here to see all of today’s pictures.