An era has come to an end at my home.  Nothing too serious – I am just cancelling my home phone.  In a little under 2 hours, Shaw will open and I will be there with both my TV boxes and my home phone booster.  If you have my home phone number, you can throw it away.  If you need my cell phone number, send me an email or use the contact form at the bottom of this message.

For the last couple of years, the only calls coming in to the home phone have been by my Mom or by long distance spam.  I’ve given my cell phone number to my Mom, but I won’t miss the spam calls.  I still know my home phone number better than I know my cell number, so I’ll have to be careful when giving my phone number to someone that I want to have it.

I haven’t watched TV in the last couple of years and had cancelled it over a year ago.  Shaw wanted me to have all 3 services, so they called me a few months ago and gave it back for 6 months.  My daughter watched it, but I still didn’t – and neither of us wants to pay for it – so it is gone now that the 6 months are up.

On a different topic altogether, both my daughter and I noticed a few weeks ago that after a shower, there was a puddle of water on the floor.  We were both thinking that there was a problem with the shower curtain and made sure that the area was covered, but nothing helped.  Then my daughter mentioned that maybe it was coming from under the tub.  Oh oh – that means a problem a little more expensive than a shower curtain.

I looked things over and realized that the tub surround sealant had come loose in some spots, so yesterday was devoted to removing and cleaning all the joints.  I had some joint tape for a tub and tried that, but it was obvious that was not going to work, so it came down again and I headed out to get some silicone sealant.  I got that, came home, sealed it all up and hopefully that will be the end of that – at least for a few more years.  Its not the neatest job in the world, but it should stop the water from getting under tub and out onto the floor.

If that doesn’t fix it, then it is probably more serious and the tub and or the surround will have to be removed to check the plumbing.  That is a little more than what I am capable of doing on my own so I really hope it is fixed now.

It was raining when Chester and I took our walk along the Red River this morning, so I didn’t take my camera with me.  It was already 24C so I didn’t want to wear a jacket to cover the camera and I didn’t want it to get wet, so it was better left at home.  Of course, I saw one of the Mallard Duck families.  It was the family with several ducklings and I didn’t have a camera to take a picture.  Chester also found about 3 bunnies to stalk and they all stayed still to pose for pictures – but again – no camera.

Just so I have a picture, I went out to take one of my pot of Impatience on the front step this morning.


Last night on Africam at the Tembe cam, we had a nice long visit by a Porcupine.  It is very rare to see these critters on cam.  There is a full video and there are also pictures posted in the picture thread, but the 24 Wild for July 11th also has some of the Porcupine.  You can watch it here.

I don’t know if an African Porcupine is different from a Canadian Porcupine or not.  I don’t often see them here and can only remember seeing one in the wild in Canada – but they look similar.  Before posting this I decided to search online and found out that there are 29 different Porcupine species according to Wikepedia.  The North American Porcupine climbs trees (which is where I saw the one that I saw here) and the African Porcupine does not club trees.  The African Porcupine is also larger and heavier than the North American one.