Yesterday was a little different.

Chester and I had our usual walk along the Red River.  It was nice and fresh after the rain the night before.

As I wrote in my blog yesterday, I found out someone had snipped off 2 of my beautiful peony flowers.  I wasn’t too happy about that – but there was nothing I could do about it.

In the early afternoon I did some de-cluttering in my kitchen cupboards as part of my ongoing  policy to clean this place up.  I’ve never been one to keep on top of things and if I don’t have a place to put something, it can go on the cupboard or table or . . .

My house isn’t show home quality yet, but it is sure a lot better than it was 3 months ago.  I don’t spend all day on anything – maybe an hour to tackle something in particular, and that is why it is taking a long time.  I also don’t work on it every day, but I am keeping up with what has been done to keep it clean.

After the cupboards, I had stuff to take out to the recycle and garbage bins, so I headed out to do that.  I opened the recycle bin and for some reason looked inside before dumping the stuff in, and saw a purse at the bottom.  Obviously that didn’t belong, so I put my stuff down, turned the barrel on its side and slid the purse out.  Inside the purse I found house and car keys, a couple of puffers (inhalers) and a cell phone.

The cell phone was locked, so I couldn’t call the last caller and let that person know I had the phone.  One of the puffers had a name on it, so I looked online to see if I could find a phone number for this person.  Luckily she had a name that is not common, so I found a number and left a message on voice mail when there was no answer.

By then it was time to head out for the 2nd installment of my retirement party.  The first installment was on my last day – but most of my co-workers were unable to attend at that time of the day.  They had also kept the main part of my gift until this dinner.

I took the extra phone and purse with me just in case the owner of the purse called me while I was at the Y. Others there tried to see if they could get past the password to log into the phone to get more information to possibly contact the person who had been calling before I found it.

We ate and we talked and I received my gift, which is an absolutely wonderful picture of an African Elephant with her baby.  🙂

Love It!
Love It!

Written on the back is

“Wishing you many more adventures!

YMCA-YWCA of Winnipeg

friends and colleagues


It is 41″ x 17 ” with the frame, and I have to find the perfect place to hang it.  The signature is Ruane Manning and if you are interested, you can find more information on him and his art on his website here.

Moments after I returned home, I received a call from the owner of the purse.  She was very excited to know that I had her purse with her phone and meds, and would be on her way to pick it up as soon as her daughter returned home from work.  They would be coming by bicycle.  She was disappointed but not surprised that her wallet with ID and credit cards were gone.

They arrived shortly after that and she was very happy to get back as much as she did.  I think her biggest concern had been the phone, since as well all know – cell phone are expensive and this was a new one.  The case was gone from the phone though.  She was actually lucky that they put this all into the recycle bin.  It had rained the night before but it was kept dry by being in the bin.

Well – that was my day.  I wonder what is in store for me today.  🙂