Selling – Moving ? ?

I’ve been thinking a lot about things lately.  Chester and I are both getting older as is my home.  My house is the oldest of us all, as it was built in 1900, so is now currently 114 years old.  I am 63 years old and Chester is 11 years old.  Jewel is still a youngster at 18 years of age.  Parrots lifespan is similar to people.

I have put a lot of work and money into this house in the 30 years I have lived here – but it needs more.  Repairs and upkeep take money.  I started thinking that I would not get another dog when Chester goes.  It will seem very strange to not have a dog around – but at that time I would be able to sell the house and move into something that does not require the upkeep, or that someone else would be in charge of that.  Another thought about moving is that I would not have to shovel snow again.

Then I wondered if I should do all the work that is required so I can ask more money for this house when I sell it.  I don’t know what all the work would cost and whether this would be better or if I would just be throwing my money away.  I decided to contact a few real estate offices to see if someone would be able to come out and give me an idea of the value of the house and lot as is and advice as to whether I should go into debt now to do the work or not.  I let them know that my plans to sell are a few years away.

I contacted 3 companies by email, letting them know what I was looking for – but only one of them got in touch with me.  She made an appointment to come out in a couple of days.

She came with another co-worker and we went through the house, without either of them saying much until we went out the back door to see the yard.  She said this would be my selling point.  I knew the yard would be important, with all my trees and bushes, so that didn’t surprise me at all.  What did surprise me was that she wanted me to sell right now.

She told me she could find a condo where I could have both Chester and Jewel and that I wouldn’t have to shovel snow at all this winter.  The idea of not shoveling snow really does appeal to me, but I know most condos and apartments that do allow dogs, only allow small dogs.  I told her I would think about it and she said she would contact me in 2 days.

I tossed and turned most of that night and then at 4:00 am Chester had to go outside.  This doesn’t happen often, but it sometimes does – so I got up to let him out and then sat on a chair to wait for him.  In a condo or apartment, I would have had to get dressed and go outside with him.  Another thought at that time was that Chester absolutely never does his business while on a leash.  Although I carry a bag with me on our walks just in case, I have had the same bag in my pocket for ages.  He doesn’t even pee outside the yard.  He is used to one (or sometimes two) walks during the day and then being able to go out into the yard on his own several times a day.  Sometimes he just goes out and wants back in again and sometimes he will be happy out on his own for hours.  At his age, trying to set up scheduled walks with no in between outings would be difficult if not impossible.

Obviously this idea won’t work, so when she called me in 2 days, I told her it was back to plan A to stay in my home as long as I have Chester.  She said she would send a list of pet friendly condos for under $150,000.00 and asked that I looked them over.  I checked them over as requested and although they were all under $150,000.00 – only 2 of them mentioned pets.  One said NO PETS and the other said dogs up to a maximum of 10kg (22 lbs).  Chester is a small Irish Setter, but he is 27kg (60 lbs).  I emailed this to the agent and her reply was “These condo’s we sent were to show you that their are options for you when you sell your home and to move with Chester. ”  I haven’t replied to her yet, but will probably thank her for confirming that there actually are no options to move anywhere with Chester and that I am back with Plan A.

In the meantime, I had looked at a Townhouse with a Co-op that has a small private fenced yard, but had a weight limit for dogs of 45 lbs and emailed them about whether they would consider a larger senior dog.  I also emailed a seniors apartment that takes dogs, but does not specify a size and asked the same question.  I haven’t heard from either of them – but it is the weekend now, so I don’t expect to hear anything until at least Monday.

Regardless of what they say though, I do not plan on moving anywhere with Chester.  I know stress could bring his seizures back even though he is still on all his meds, and I really don’t want to take a chance on that.  I am sure that taking away his back yard would be stressful for him.

So – the short answer is that we’re not moving.

Chester on HIS Couch
Chester on HIS Couch

Not a great picture because my flash isn’t working for some reason.  Not sure why because I hardly ever use it, so it sure shouldn’t be burnt out.  I don’t plan on moving this very heavy hide-a-bed when I move, so another reason Chester wouldn’t be happy in a new home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Selling – Moving ? ?

  1. Chester looks like he is considering your options too. He is helping you as our pets do. I think you have made your decision to stay for the present. And who knows you may have a smaller dog when Chester goes and you move to a smaller place? A point to consider – who would be your companion when he’s gone? walks and company at night, Anyway good luck with what ever the way the wind blows.
    Mary

    Like

    1. Thanks Mary. Yes, we’re taking one step at a time and will be staying here. I will still need a pet-friendly place to go because of Jewel when I do move and a smaller dog could be a possibility.

      Like

    1. No time for renos Karen – she wanted to have it listed immediately. I’m thinking she wanted to sell to someone who would want it just for the purpose of doing what needs to be done and then resell it for much more. Maybe she knows a house flipper.

      Like

Comments are closed.