A Day in the Life

Currently I have a few things going on and some of them I haven’t mentioned here.

So, right now, I am house/dog/fish sitting.   I am also visiting with my Mother, who is currently in the hospital after falling and breaking her shoulder about a week and a half ago.  I also volunteer at the Assiniboine Park Zoo twice a week.   I am also nursing an infection in my mouth, that somehow managed to appear where the roots would be for a tooth, except that this particular tooth had a root canal done many years ago.  I am waiting for an appointment with a specialist on root canal failures to see what, or if anything, can or should be done (at a price that I can afford).

My 94 year old Mother shattered her right shoulder and it is not fixable, so she is learning to use her left hand and arm.  Her shoulder will apparently heal, but may not be of much use.  One main problem is that she uses a walker to walk, which requires 2 hands.  I am not sure how this will be overcome, but she is in rehab  now and hopefully something can be worked out.  I usually visit with her every morning.

While I am house sitting, I am very close to my volunteer job at the Assiniboine Park Zoo, so instead of driving for 20 – 30 minutes, I can walk there in about 20 minutes.  The only problem with this walk is that I walk Toby for 30 to 45 minutes, then I walk 20 minutes to the Zoo, and spend 3 hours walking and/or standing at the Zoo, before walking another 20 minutes or more back home.  After I did that yesterday, my feet and legs were pretty sore, but, I walked that off this morning and obviously did no harm.  My FitBit registered over 21,500 steps yesterday and most of those were before 3:00 pm.  My normal steps are between 10,000 and 12,000 although my Zoo days are higher.  After3:00 pm I didn’t move much.

Most of my time is spent with Toby and he provides some much needed comedy relief.  Today, I was having a tomato sandwich and I cut a small slice of tomato for Toby.  From his reaction, I don’t think tomatoes are his favourite food, or maybe he has never tried them before.  He took it, thinking it was a treat and them dropped it on the floor.  I went to pick it up and he quickly grabbed it again and ate it.  Then, a little later, I was having some blueberries in yogurt and I gave him a blueberry.  Again, he spit it out and grabbed it when I reached for it.  This time he didn’t eat it though and headed for the door to go outside.  I let him out and watched as he spit it out in the dirt, picked it up, spit it out and rolled it around before finally eating it.  I guess the dirt on it helped it go down.  LOL

None of my dogs had ever shown an interest in the TV or computer except maybe for a casual glance if they heard wolves or some other interesting sound.  I watched a little video showing a dog howling today and Toby took immediate interest in it.  So much so that I got the camera out, played the video again and took a video of Toby watching and listening.

7 thoughts on “A Day in the Life

  1. So sorry to hear about your mother’s injury. Good thing she has a strong daughter to help. Be sure to rinse your mouth out with a bit of warm salt water (often) — it will help! Similar thing happened to my older sister. Only her tooth issue started from a stuck piece of popcorn — that outside part — not sure what that is called! And Toby! Wow! What a curious handsome fella. A sweetie! Those eyes. Magnificent!

    Liked by 1 person

Comments are closed.